Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

How Teaching Has Impacted Me

As I was looking for a disc with my subbing files on it, I came across some pictures from my first long-term subbing job at Oakridge. (I have many photos but for obvious reasons, I will not be posting these on this blog). These were some of the best students I have taught. I was their 5th grade long-term substitute and now they are in high school...yep HIGH SCHOOL! Can you believe it? I just hope I made a big enough impact on them for the short time I was there that they will always remember me. I had 3 groups of 5th graders. Two groups I taught Science to and the other group was my main class.

I also had a great group of 1st graders for my Student Teaching semester, also at Oakridge, and now these kids are in 5th grade. It's been awesome watching them grow as I have subbed at their school for the past 3 1/2 years. My Teacher Assisting kids I haven't seen since that ended, because they are in Wyoming Public Schools, but those were 3rd graders and now they are in middle school. I can't believe how fast the time has gone by and how quickly it seems they have all grown up. 

In the fall of 2010, I also did a long-term sub job in 4th grade at Oakridge (my home away from home). These kids are only in 5th grade now, but I know they will be in high school before I know it. 

Along with those teaching gigs, I have also spent time as a parapro at Lincoln Park and Ross Park, both a part of Mona Shores, and I have enjoyed that job just as much as teaching. These jobs gave me the opportunity to work one-on-one with struggling students. I really loved the time I got to spend with individual students and watch them grow as they learned! 

All of the teachers and administrators I have worked with have all been welcoming and encouraging. Muskegon County has great teachers and great students. And even though I haven't had a classroom of my own YET (one day I will), I have learned a lot from all the students and teachers I have been privileged to work with. It has made me into a better educator, has instilled patience in me, and has given me the opportunity to encounter all walks of life and all different backgrounds. 

As I look back and think about the opportunities I've had to be a teacher and paraprofessional, I have felt honored and blessed to have taught such great kids and I hope they never forget me. I've had some great experiences as a substitute teacher and parapro. I can't wait until the day I get a classroom of my own!

I am proud to say that I am a teacher no matter what becomes of the education system. The kids of today are our future and we should all remember that.  I don't want to get into the politics of education but we really need to remember that one day, these kids will be "running the show."

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment